There have been changes to the regulations (for 2020+) around costs forwarded on to parents, and the approach that schools are to use. The departments policy states under the Education (General Provisions) Act 2006 the cost of 'instruction', 'facilities' and 'administration' are met by the State. State funding for schools does not extend to individual student resources such as textbooks, equipment for personal use and items used/consumed by the student in the classroom. Parents are responsible for supplying these resources to support student learning.
School booklists can be very expensive, but at Esk State School all costs are kept to a minimum!
Please view our current booklist (DOCX, 82KB).
When purchasing student supplies, it helps to have a common understanding of how student resources are managed. Please read the following:
- Please ensure that all your child's school items are individually named. e.g. each pencil. Please leave subject labelling to teaching teams.
- In compiling this list, we endeavour to have sufficient materials organised for the year, but there may be need to purchase additional items from time to time.
- The items on the book list are collected and distributed to your child when they are needed. Please send all requested items at the beginning of the year. Not having the items on hand at school causes considerable inconvenience. Anything that is not used, or reusable, will be returned home at the end of the year.
- Book covering is optional, though it does strengthen the book bindings and helps with ease of identification. Plastic slip on covers are readily available in a variety of colours and prints.
- Items with an asterisk (*) beside them may not need to be purchased if still in good condition from previous year.
- Parents who choose to purchase items from other suppliers are asked to ensure they purchase good quality items, as cheap items such as pencils, sharpeners and scissors do not last as long because they break easily and the pencils are difficult to sharpen.
Additional costs that will be invoiced through school
Web-based resources: (for home and school use)
Instrumental Music Program participation and consumables costs - TBA – instrumental music students only.
Instrument hire – instrumental music students only.