content-left-bg.png
content-right-bg.png

History

WebPartZone1_1
PublishingPageContent

A little history of the 'First People'Sandstone - Chararah Travelling

Esk State School is on the land of the Yuggera People. 'Yuggera territory, being the geographical area in which the language was spoken corresponded with the basins of the Brisbane and Caboolture Rivers. It was said that Esk was about the northern boundary, the foot of the Great Dividing Range the western boundary and the Fassifern Valley the southern most. Teviot Brook was in Yuggera territory with the Teviot Range marking the approximate eastern boundary with Yugumbir territory.'

A little history of the town

The Esk area was explored by the ill-fated Captain Patrick Logan in 1830, but German migrant-driven settlement didn't begin until the 1840s. A stroll down the heritage trail will take visitors down memory lane to the life and times of the pioneering pastoralists, loggers, dairy farmers and grape-growers.

Apart from harbouring the recreational outlets of Somerset and Atkinson Dams and Lake Wivenhoe, the Brisbane Valley is also the domain of the descendants of a small herd of deer presented to Queensland by Queen Victoria in 1873. While Lake Wivenhoe is a major link in the Brisbane region's water supply system it is also a popular weekend haunt for recreational fishing, competition rowing and sailing. Its shoreline is liberally sprinkled with picnic and BBQ areas.

A little history of the school

The Esk State School was opened on November 1, 1875. This was the same year the Education Act was passed; meaning for the first time education was free, compulsory and not linked to any churches.

The original school building was an 'L' shaped building with a porch between. The school consisted of three large rooms. In 1946 the new school was built and in 1974 the preschool centre was added. By 1975 the school consisted of one main building divided into five rooms catering for 100 students and four teachers. Now the school has four teaching blocks, a resource centre, staff room, hall, and tuckshop. Our grounds include two ovals - one to accommodate sports such as cricket, soccer, softball and athletics, the other is a general play area. We also have a covered multipurpose area and a swimming pool.

WebPartZone1_2
WebPartZone2_1
WebPartZone2_2
WebPartZone2_3
WebPartZone3_1
WebPartZone3_2
WebPartZone3_3
WebPartZone3_4
WebPartZone4_1
WebPartZone5_1
WebPartZone5_2
WebPartZone6_1
WebPartZone6_2
WebPartZone7_1
WebPartZone7_2
WebPartZone8_1
WebPartZone8_2
WebPartZone9_1
Last reviewed 16 January 2020
Last updated 16 January 2020